Jan D’Atri, Red Mountain’s Culinary Chef, prepares a healthy version of the classic burger & shake combo.
- 3 ½ oz lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, sliced in thin rings
- Butter lettuce, cleaned, with leaves separated
- 1 medium tomato, sliced in rounds
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the sauce:
- ½ cup Walden Farms Chipotle Calorie -Free Ranch Dressing
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dill pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Form the ground turkey into patties. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a skillet with a little water, cook the onion rings until soft and caramelized.
- Add more water a little at a time as needed during the cooking process.
- Remove from skillet and set aside. Spray the skillet with zero calorie cooking spray.
- Cook turkey burgers over medium high heat, adding a little water as needed, until the turkey is cooked through (Internal temperature should be 165 degrees.)
- Make the sauce. In a bowl, add the ingredients for the sauce and whisk to combine. Place the turkey burger on the butter lettuce leaves. Slather with sauce and top with onions. Serve with slices of tomatoes on the side.
- 2 scoops Thick & Rich Rich Chocolate Protein Shake (powder)
- 3-5 drops of Peppermint Stevia (more if desired)
- 12 oz water
- Ice (as needed)
Place the protein powder, Stevia and ice water in a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy, adding ice as needed to achieve desired consistency.
Burgers and shakes — You bet you can have them on your weight loss plan, and I’d love to show you how.
Hi, it’s Jan D’Atri and this is Clean Eating the Red Mountain Way.
Boy, couldn’t you go for a juicy burger with the works and a thick creamy shake? Well, Red Mountain Weight Loss says you can! Just use the right ingredients: lean ground turkey, a sweet yellow onion, tomato slices, lettuce, and of course, a secret sauce. And for the shake: Red Mountain’s Thick and Creamy Protein Shake powder, ice, water, and Peppermint Stevia®.
Let’s start with caramelizing the onions for the burger. Slice the onion in rounds and add them to a skillet with a little water. As the onions cook, add more water a little at a time until the onions soften and eventually get that beautiful golden brown color. Yes, you can caramelize onions with just water!
Set the onions aside and start on the burger. Just make a patty with three and a half ounces of lean ground turkey seasoned with a little salt and pepper. Add it to the skillet with some zero calorie cooking spray. Since the ground turkey is so lean, I add a little water to the pan so it doesn’t stick. Cook the burger until the internal temperature is 165 degrees.
And while that’s cooking, let’s make the sauce. I’m starting with a half cup of Walden Farms Chipotle calorie-free ranch dressing, one teaspoon of mustard, a teaspoon of dill pickle relish, a teaspoon of red wine vinegar, and a fourth of a teaspoon each of cumin, smoked paprika, and garlic powder. Give it a whisk, and it’s time to build the burger!
First the lettuce, then the turkey burger. Next, pour your special sauce over the top and then add those delicious sweet caramelized onions, a few tomato slices on the side, and i promise you’ll never even miss the bread!
But you gotta have a shake! So, grab your blender and a glass of ice water, then add two level scoops of Red Mountain rich chocolate protein powder and a few drops of peppermint Stevia®.
It’s burger and shake day in the Red Mountain Clean Eating Kitchen, where you don’t have to give up your favorites to get rid of the weight.
For great products and more recipes for Clean Eating the Red Mountain Way, visit redmountainweightloss.com
Jan D’Atri is Red Mountain’s official Culinary Chef, providing patients with a variety of instructional videos regarding how to cook healthy meals.
With an extensive background in the food industry as a restaurant owner, gourmet food distributor, and cookbook author, Jan’s expertise is in high demand. In fact, she has been featured in various Phoenix media outlets including radio host on 92.3FM KTAR, Arizona Midday, Sonoran Living, Phoenix Magazine, and more.
Watch more delicious recipes from our RM Clean Eating Kitchen series with Red Mountain’s Culinary Chef, Jan D’Atri and learn to eat clean the Red Mountain Way!